Happenings at Big Brothers Big Sisters

The BBBS of Central Texas blog is a fast, fun, and easy way for everyone to read about the latest goings-on at the agency. This blog is kept by BBBS staff members who just want to describe, from their individual perspective, what is happening in and around the office. Please keep checking out our blog, offer feedback, and share stories reflecting how BBBS has positively impacted your life or the lives of others.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

More Pumpkin Talk

Last year, my Little Brother, Xavier, and I attended the Pumpkin Carving contest hosted by my agency and had a great time, but the staff here really stepped it up this year. Instead, it evolved into our Fall Harvest which I will definitely support for the years to come. It was great to arrive at the agency and see all the folks who turned out to be part of this special occasion.
We had several people who volunteer as Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Board Members, existing donors, and folks from the community who aren’t involved with our mission but were able to get a glimpse of the special things we do here at BBBS.

The agency was well decorated in Halloween décor and our great friends at Blue Bell Ice Cream provided delicious frozen snacks for everyone who chose to indulge in (I think the adults enjoyed it just as much as the children here did). The best thing that happened that day was that Xavier and his mom, Felicia, surprised me by stopping by. Why was this a surprise? Simply because I thought he wasn't going to be able to make it.

After all the festivities were over, we went back to my home and he played a new video game on my computer, and we later went out for dinner. It was great for us to connect because it had been close to a month since we last got together. Even with that gap of time, it was like no time was lost and we got right back on the same page with one another. He is doing great at his new school, Kealing Middle, and feels challenged by the work, but knows he can handle it. Xavier now has a new puppy, Minnie, and we are going to plan activities where she can come along.

I write this for all to see, but with the hope that men read this and know that volunteering your time in this way doesn’t require a lot. The year and few months that Xavier and I have been matched has gone by really fast. He has his own life and I have mine but, it’s a great feeling to know that we are there for each another even when a few weeks go by that we don’t see each other. Because my scheduled has changed some, I can carve out some time for us to get together at Kealing, which is one of the schools that we serve. Maybe I will see some of you there!

Hope you enjoyed and talk to you next time.
Kenny Taylor, Executive Director, BBBS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home